Saturday, September 12, 2009

WOOLY GOODNESS


Hello!

I'm sure all of you artists/crafters have this dilemma... there's too many good things to grab at our attention. For a long time I struggled with a wavering heart that wanted to do all things crafty and wonderful...I still do. Scrapbooking took up many years of my life which was wonderful and my family enjoys looking at our scrapbooks so much. If you ever feel like you're having a bad day or that you and your family never do anything fun, there is no better way to brighten your day than to go down memory lane by looking at scrapbooks that you have created which document all of the good times and fun memories you and your family have had together. Before you know it you will be saying..."wow...we are such a fun group of people!" I love my family...wouldn't trade them for the world! It's true...I promise. And besides all of that good therapy there is the process you go through of making it and playing with all of the wonderful papers and stickers and shapes you can cut with funky scissors. So much fun...


But then there is the world of fabric and sewing and quilting... I spent 2 years creating a quilt that now lives on our bed and it is such a treasure. I hope it lasts forever and will grace the home of my grandchildren some day. My Mom spent hours teaching my Sister and I how to sew. We would have a ball going fabric shopping together and picking out patterns. I am so thankful to my Mom for teaching us that skill.


All along though I knew that I wanted to be an artist of some sort. But what sort...so MANY good things to do... Just how does one choose? Or do you have to? The last few years I have spent learning very minimal knitting skills. My dear friend and neighbor in Illinois (Hi Colleen!...yes I'm talking about you!) taught me how to knit. Everyone got a scarf for Christmas. Then when we moved I took a class on knitting felted wool slippers. Wow... a little more concentration was taken with that than scarves. I have knitted and felted wool purses too. I LOVE felting wool. There is something so great about the feel of it in your hands. Well last spring I was listening to a podcast on Craftsanity, which by the way you must listen to if you haven't. Jennifer Ackerman-Haywood is the host and she interviews some amazing artists and crafters. You can get the podcast on itunes and it's free. Anyway... I heard an interview with a wonderful felted wool artist named Laurie Sharp. She has a newer book out called Wool Pets, which is also the name of her business.


You can check out her blog here. Turns out she lives really close to me...so... me not being very shy called her up and got to meet her. She and her Husband Kevin, who is an amazing photographer, are this incredible team that run their business of needle felted kits and creating cool books on the art of how to needle felt. Needle felting is so much fun and relatively quick. It is a great craft for young kids and you can make anything your imagination can dream up as long as you can find the supplies to make it. But that shouldn't be a problem because Laurie sells them on her Etsy shop. It's such a portable craft too...soccer Moms...I'm talking to you! Anyway... if you haven't been too overwhelmed by the possibilities in the craft world, needle felting is another great option!
( My first attempt at needle felting... I took a class from Laurie. )


( All the supplies you need to needle felt - and also the wool.)


( curly wool that makes great hair and curly sheep)


Currently I've been concentrating on my painting. But every now and then you need a good distraction. And needless to say, there are plenty of options out there. Hope you all have a great weekend and I'll talk to you soon.
Blessings,
Meagan





2 comments:

  1. Your sheep are so wonderful, Meagan! Thanks for featuring Woolpets on your blog! The photos are beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg, I can't believe I was reading your blog and you mentioned little'ol me and knitting!!! I have very few creative bones in my body but somehow you noticed one of them. I am actually knitting a sweater right now...I'll let you know how it turns out. I miss you a lot!!! I enjoy catching up with you through your blog spot.You really are HOME!!! Your friend, Coll

    ReplyDelete