Sunday, September 6, 2009

WHERE IT ALL STARTED...


Hi bloggers,


I was thinking the other day about the reason I paint on a black background and where I got the idea to do that. It all started back in 2006 with a painting that I did for our church we attended for 16 years when we lived in Illinois. It was a painting for the Easter season and I decided to paint it on a black background. I think because I was trying to capture the feeling of night and darkness. I ended up enjoying the way the color played off of the black so much that I now start my paintings on black all of the time. It seems to allow me to create a depth to my paintings that I can't achieve on a white background. It's fun to look back at this painting...it was so different from what I do now because it was very loose and free form. I think I painted it in less than 2 hours. I struggle with not painting from a photo and relying on my own ability to draw what I want to portray. I also paint with a lot of detail which you can't attain in 2 hours! Well...maybe you can, but I can't. I'm working on a new series of paintings right now for fall and hope to be done soon.
Take care,
Meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment